By Aaronnette Jackson, MSA
July 2, 2013
Few would argue that social media is changing the way we communicate – it’s a 24/7 communications tool that allows us to exchange information and ideas across vast virtual networks. One of the most popular social media tools, Twitter, has grown exponentially in recent years. Everyone seems to be “tweeting” these days…but what exactly is Twitter and how can you use it to enhance the marketing efforts of your organization?
Twitter is a free, easy-to-use social media that allows its users to send text-based messages to communicate news reports or announce new products and events. Twitter can help your organization expand your customer base globally. It can also be used to get real-time customer feedback on current services or new products under development. Twitter can be a great communications and marketing tool for organizations because it’s:
• Short and simple
• Available 24/7
• Occurs in real-time
• Connects with current and future customers
So, how can your organization start using Twitter to enhance your communications? Here are some quick tips:
• First, set up your Twitter account. Go to www.twitter.com and follow these steps in the New to Twitter
box sign up box:
o Enter your full name
o Enter your email address
o Create a password
o Click the sign up for Twitter button
• Customize your profile page to represent and promote your brand. Your business bio should tell your
customers how you can help them and the benefits they will receive by following your organization.
• Review your profile page frequently to keep it fresh and up-to-date.
• Publicize and promote your Twitter account wherever you can (on your website, through other social
media tools, and on printed materials) to get followers.
• Stay engaged. Be on the look-out for your organization’s name in other people’s tweets. Follow those
organizations and its followers.
• Offer sales and promotions that can only be redeemed through Twitter.
• Be valuable. Select Twitter topics that tell something about your business – focus on things your
customers want to know about, such as solutions to problems they face on a daily basis.
• Don’t allow your Twitter page to go stale. Keep it fresh by reaching out to new followers and staying on
top of your current customers. Make people have a reason to want to check your page on a daily basis.
These tips should help get you started using Twitter and connecting with new customers. Time to get “tweeting!” .